MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Ok I am only asking this as I couldn't find anything on the

Customer Question

Ok I am only asking this as I couldn't find anything on the internet and I wanted to start a small collection of vintage swords(from like late 18th century to late 19th century), bayonets from late 19th century to WW2 and any other items from WW1 to WW2, are there any laws prohibiting these items, with the swords one I could only find something about Katana swords and that's it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland Wicklow
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: none
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I am happy to help you with your enquiry today.

Unfortunately, there is no specific legislation governing the collection of vintage swords. However, it is still covered by the The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, which notably prohibits the, importation, sale, hire or loan of "offensive weapons" which include  flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, etc.
You may visit this website for an official list of "offensive weapons": https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/si/66/made/en/print
I also advise you to read this section: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/12/section/12/enacted/en/html#sec12
which deals with the prohibition on its importation, manufacture, and sale.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything further.