MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can my employer refuse me the day off for my surgery? HR,

Customer Question

Can my employer refuse me the day off for my surgery?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: HR
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Generally, your employer can accept your request, or refuse your request.

In such cases, if you have a complaint about your employment rights, you should first speak to your employer. If you cannot resolve your complaint informally, you can make a formal complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) using its online complaint form.

Depending on your complaint, you may have to take ‘pre-complaint steps’, such as gathering supporting documents and sending them to the WRC as part of the complaint.

You should make your complaint to the WRC within 6 months of the alleged incident (dispute). This time limit can be extended by a further 6 months if there was a reasonable cause for the delay.

In any case, you should prove to them there will be a surgery on that day, and they should accept your request. If not, you can raise a complaint.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Would it be best for me to fall in sick and get a letter from the surgeon?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Call in sick
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
My employer wants me to swap however my days off are my days off and don’t want to do this
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am in college and busy studying for my exams now

Yes, that would be the best course of action at this point. It is best for you to fall in sick and get a letter from your surgeon.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Don’t classify as sick. Classify as absence due to surgery.