MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have a dutch passport and my husband has pakistani

Customer Question

I have a dutch passport and my husband has pakistani passport, i am not working because of two kids under 2, my husband is doing uber eats and we both have presettled status in uk, and we applied universal credit, but it was rejected both times and we don’t know the reason it just says that you have failed the habitual residense test, kindly tell me the reason as we are unable to find it
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In most cases, you won't be able to claim benefits or get a council home if you failed the habitual residence test. You will get a letter saying why you've failed the test. There are four main things the letter might say:

• you don't have a right to reside - this means you haven't shown you have a right to claim benefits in the UK

• you're not a qualified person - this means you haven't shown you're working, looking for work, or have enough money to support yourself
  • you're not a family member of a qualified person - this means you haven't shown you're related to the person who's qualified, or you haven't shown they're a qualified person
  • you're a person who must be treated as not in Great Britain' or 'not habitually resident' - this means you haven't shown the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man is your home and you plan to stay

However, if you have pre-settled status you can apply for:

• Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance

If you think you have a right to reside, you need to get evidence to prove it.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.