Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am looking for advice re tax. My husband has been gifted

Dear sir
I am looking for advice re tax. My husband has been gifted his family home from his father and mother tax free as the property was valued at 290k which is within his father son tax exemption. It was done through a voluntary transfer. Myself and our four kids are now living in the house. We have also put a lot of our own money into the house as it need work. We are wondering if we sell the house in the future would be liable to pay tax? And also how soon after living in the house would we be able to sell? Thank you Carmel
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello I posted a question this morning could someone please advise as I paid €38 and no response so far

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am willing to wait thank you
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will wait thanks
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1.  You won't be liable to pay any tax on a sale of the house if it is your principal private residence.  So, if you are living in the house on a day to day basis, there will be no CGT payable on any sale of the house, as the principal private residence exemption will apply.  Secondly, you can sell the house and take advantage of the principal private residence relief once you have been living in the house for a period of one year.  After this time, you can sell the house tax free.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience

2.  If you require clarification  or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your Question.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much. That is of great assistance It was worth waiting for your reply. Kindest Carmel

3.  You are welcome, Carmel.  Glad to be of assistance.