MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I just need some advice on what is regarding as blackmail

Hi there I just need some advice on what is regarding as blackmail please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing this is the first
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Shall I just relay the situation to you?

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In this case, where you believe you have been the victim of an online scam, fraud, or blackmailing - you should report it to your local Garda Station, and also use the online reporting service of the website or forum on which you were scammed.

When reporting to your local Gardaí, bring copies of all emails, account details, copies of the advertisement of online posting, and any other relevant information you may have.

By law, it is an offence for a person to make unwarranted demands with menace to make personal gains for themselves or another, or with the intention to cause a loss to another. The exception to this offence is if the person making the demand with menaces believes that:

(1) They have reasonable grounds for making the demand, and
(2) The use of menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank so much for your reply.
I'm unsure if it's blackmail.
My partner has a child. He doesn't see the child for various reasons but paids monthly maintenance to the child's mother.
The mother is always asking for more and when My partner says no she threatens to go to my partners family and ask them. They don't know about the child and my partner wants to tell them in his own time and not for them to find out through her.Any help would be greatly appreciated

May I clarify if there's a maintenance order in place which has been granted by the court?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not by the courts but agreed by the two of them themselves. The child's mother can't work as she's fighting deportation at the moment

I see. In that case, if both of them cannot agree upon maintenance - or the other party has been asking for more, either can apply to the court for a maintenance order to make this agreement legally binding. An application for maintenance can be brought either in the District Court, Circuit Court, or exceptionally in the High Court.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay brilliant I appreciate your help.
And is there nothing we can do about her threatening to go to his family?

You can report it to your local Garda Station in that case. By law, it is an offence to use threatening, abusive, or insulting words or behaviour in a public place with the intention of breaching the peace.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks you so much for your time and answers. Greatly appreciated

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.