Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have an Irish great grandparent. Am I eligible for an EU

Customer Question

I have an Irish great grandparent. Am I eligible for an EU passport?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am a British citizen. I've made no applications yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Go ahead
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

1.  I regret to say that having an Irish great grandparent does not entitle you to an Irish passport, unless all of the births of the grandparent, parent and your own birth were registered in the Irish Foreign Births Register at the time you were born.  It is only by having an Irish grandparent born on the island of Ireland, that you would be entitled to Irish citizenship as of right.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No. Just type here
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

2.  Typing is just fine.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand im not automatically entitled but im being told it may be possible at the discretion of the foreign office
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

3.  This is not correct.  The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs don't have a discretion in the matter.  You essentially need to show the registration of the births in the Irish Foreign Births Register to obtain citizenship based upon your great grandparent being born in ireland.