Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My daughters boyfriend broke windows in my house at weekend

Customer Question

My daughters boyfriend broke windows in my house at weekend when he was drunk, he is going for counselling and has paid for all the damage done I want to drop the charges against him as I do believe it was a once off and is sorry is this possible
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in wexford ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I made a statement to gardi, but I was in shock at the time , it was only a couple of hours after it happened and I wasn't thinking straight, he was released on bail and he can't be in contact with me or my daughter one of the conditions
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I'm just sorry it all happened
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He is to be sentenced on June 21st and I do not want him to go to jail,
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

1.  You should contact the Gardai and withdraw your statement in relation to your daughter's boyfriend and indicate you don't wish the matter to be dealt with in court.  See the Garda to whom you made the statement and inform them that you no longer wish to proceed with the matter.  Whilst the Gardai are not bound to stop the prosecution, if you are not giving evidence, then the matter is unlikely to proceed.  However, you should also indicate that you are sorry that it all happened and show you no longer wish to see your daughter's boyfriend punished for the incident.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

2.  If you require clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your Question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

3.  You are welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.