Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was involved in a bar fight where i was assaulted, i hit

Customer Question

i was involved in a bar fight where i was assaulted, i hit back in self defense! I was unharmed but the other persons face was cut and bruised
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: republic of ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have made a statement a few months ago, and haven’t heard anything until i got a phone call from the guards tonight to propose an adult caution for both parties
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i can wait
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

1. An adult caution is not a criminal record and you can accept one without having to disclose it to future employers.  It is the lowest form of penalty possible in the criminal justice system.  However, it will have to be disclosed when applying for a visa for certain countries because they ask whether you have been charged with any offence.  These countries would include the USA and Australia.  However, if the other person's face was cut and bruised, then you are lucky to get offered a caution.  So, you need to realise that this is a good outcome from the situation.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

2.  If you require clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.