Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a full UK citizen and have been all of my life. I am

I am a full UK citizen and have been all of my life. I am currently working on getting my Irish citizenship and then passport through descent using my Grandmother who was Irish when she was born, which I know I can do. What I would like to know are if there are any issues in having duel citizenship/nationality/passport from any liability in terms of taxation, domicile status and so on. Basically, I want to passport because I can and it will make thigs a little easier outside of Brexit etc but I don;t want to find any real issues with it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am happy to wait.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1.  There are no issues in having dual citizenship with an Irish passport as you need to be tax resident in Ireland if you are going to have to pay taxes there.  Essentially, this means that you must spend more than 183 days in Ireland in any one tax year or 280 days in any two years in Ireland.  So, there is no difficulty in having an \Irish passport and remaining living in England.  You will essentially retain your English domicile and tax status.  There is no obligation to file an anuual tax return just because you have an Irish passport.  So, there are no real issues which arise from having dual nationality, Irish and UK nationality.

2.  If you require clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your Question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help. That is very useful. However, it does raise one more question. One possibly use for gaining an Irish passport is that I will probably retire in a few years and would possible purchase a property in somewhere like France where I will probably want to stay for long periods of time, like 4-5 months, but not permanently. With Brexit this has become challenging and I am trying to work out if an Irish passport allows me to stay as long as I want anywhere in the EU, which I am sure it does, but then I am thinking that the UK gov may look at it differently because I will no longer be in a shared EU area but, effectively, in another country. Perhaps the EU will be fine from a tax status point of view but I am considering if the UK gov has any issues that might be detrimental to me. I can't see any. Can you? Thank you in advance. This site is fantastic.

3.  I cannot see that the UK Government will have any issues with you if you live on an Irish passport in somewhere like France for 4/5 months at a time.  The Irish passport allows you to stay as long as you want anywhere in the EU.  The British Government cannot prevent this.  So, you are just fortunate that you qualify for an Irish passport.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for the response and information. I sort of began to expect that was the case as I was writing the message and working through the scenario. You have been a great help. Thank you once again and that is all I need.

4.  You are welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience