AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I have been driving a company van for over three years to

Customer Question

i have been driving a company van for over three years to get in and home from work can my employer now take it off me
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no i was just informed 20 minutes that the use of the van would stop in two weeks
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee no union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Do you have an agreement with your employer regarding how long they are going to provide the company van?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No

Did they give a reason why they are taking the company van after over three years that you have been using it?

If you have a contract which includes the company van as a necessary tool for your job, and which acknowledges the van as part of your contractual package, then you are entitled to retain it until the end of your notice period.

In your case, you don't have an agreement or contract with your employer regarding the use of company van but you can advise your employer or manager that you are using the company van to get in and home from work and it is a necessary tool for your job. You can talk to them or write a letter for consideration. You can write in your letter the reasons why they should allow you to keep the company van while you are working with them.  

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. 

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.