MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I Want to sell my house in Finglas, my tenant has been

Customer Question

Hi, I Want to sell my house in Finglas, my tenant has been living in it since 2008, how much notice do I need to give? She is on the HAP scheme
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It is in Finglas West, Dublin 11, Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I just spoke with my tenant today but I have not written a termination letter yet as I want to be clear on how much notice I give her
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that is it
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Martin, I feel I have asked the question I need the answer to. I look forward to hearing from you

In that case, you must give a reason to end a tenancy, and the reason must be one of the specified reasons stated in the Residential Tenancies Act. The good news is that when the ability to serve a 90-day ‘no-cause’ termination on a periodic tenancy was removed from the Act, along with removing the ability to end fixed-term tenancies without providing a reason, new reasons to terminate a tenancy were provided.

The new reasons for terminating tenancies which are provided in the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2020 address the reasons given by landlords and property managers for issuing 90-day no-cause termination notices. Landlords will be able to end tenancies for a range of fair and justified reasons, including a tenant’s repeated antisocial behaviour or repeated arrears.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Martin, am I okay to give 30 day notice because I want to sell my house? I think this is a good time to sell as the interest rates are going up and I feel this is a good time to sell.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Martin, she is not anti social, I just want to sell my house as soon as possible while the market is still good as they say their is a crash coming! What is the notice i need to give her? I would prefer for my tenant to be out before I sell as they it is much easier to sell a vacated house.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is on the HAP scheme
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Martin, are you still there?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.
I am not always online but rest assured I will respond when I return.

Can you please confirm whether you have any form of written agreement re the tenancy? If so, please forward a copy.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

You need to give to give at least 28 days notice, but this could be longer depending on your agreement. If they don't leave by the time the notice ends, you have the right to go to court to get a court order to make them leave. If your agreement is longer grant the longer period.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.