How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 17057
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was in a car accident today, a car crashed into me. After

This answer was rated:

Hi I was in a car accident today, a car crashed into me. After I took a picture of all her details I realised she is out of date, i have also tried contacting her but she isn’t answering. I don’t want to claim under my insurance as I will lose my no claims bonus. Please let me know of the next step
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in Dublin Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have went to the garda to report the incident and now I am at the hospital
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That’s it
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Her insurance is out of date*
Hello, this is Jim and sorry to hear of this.
I presume you are also injured with being at hospital - is that for whiplash or something more serious?.
It would be worth contacting her insurer in any event - they may be willing to deal with your claim and if so they may pursue their policyholder for their outlay.
If they refuse then it’s either a case you go through your own insurer or you apply to the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) which is a governmental body set up to compensate victims of untraced or uninsured motorists.
You’ve already notified the Gardai which is fine as this is all that’s required to make you eligible for a claim to the MIB
I’d also recommend you check your own policy to see what it says about reporting any accidents to them. They may find out about this accident so do check as if you don’t inform them, they could refuse cover now or in future
I hope this helps
Please let me know if you’ve any other questions about this
Many thanks, ***** ***** you a speedy recovery
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I had to go to hospital for whiplash. Thanks for your help may I also ask if you would recommend me going to a solicitor nearby here and making claims?
definitely. There are many personal injury law firms in Dublin centre. I can find a few for you if that helps
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
JimLawyer and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help!
my pleasure, thanks