How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 17067
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Boy started neighbors tractor and crashed mine car. Damage

Customer Question

Boy started neighbors tractor and crashed mine car. Damage 4k.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Family of boy don't have any money.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Is it worth to go to solivitor?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No insurance on tractor. AXA can't help, Insurance Motor Bureau doesn't apply.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

There are a few issues here. The family say they have no money so whilst you could sue for the 4K, recoverability may be an issue. The other issue is the insurer will not help and neither will the Motor Insurer's Bureau (MIB) from what you say.

I don't know if you have notified your own insurer - if you have insurance, your insurer will say you need to report this to them. If you have cover, they should deal with the repairs.

If you prefer to sue the family of the child, you don't need a solicitor - as it's a district court matter and you can do this yourself.

You need a letter before action and if they refuse to pay, issue a summons.

The following website has both - the letter and summons, and they also offer a solicitor-check service too :

You could go to a law firm but costs will come in to this - the above site is a cost-effective way to pursue a claim like this yourself, but with a lawyer who can check the documents to ensure they are correct before you pursue court action.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,