How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 17071
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was in car accident other car ran into me a car behind I

Customer Question

I was in car accident other car ran into me a car behind I think had dash cam footage I’m disagreeing that it’s my fault do I need a solicitor
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: This morning rang them and then emailed saying disagree she hit me at force I was in the lane she was trying to get into it as insurance company told me last week she got dsshcam footage but I still believe it her fault
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No driving home from work told too car uneconomical to repair so they’ll discuss that with me when assessor available
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the incident.

The priority is for you to notify your insurer of this, assuming you do have insurance cover. It will be a term of your policy that you must report any accident no matter how small. If you don't do this and they later find out, they will refuse cover so if you are sued, your insurer will not cover you.

If you have insurance and the matter is disputed, your insurer may pass this to their solicitor if you have legal expenses cover - meaning you don't need to pay for your own lawyer.

A rear end collision may well point towards the other party being liable but it depends on the facts. If she has dash cam footage then this will be used as evidence. If there were witnesses, they should be contacted. If the Gardai attended, the report should be obtained. Again, all of this would be done by your insurer.

If you do want a solicitor, we cannot help as we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum) so you can find a local solicitor via this website if you wish :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

If your insurer does deal with this, they will take your account from you and they will look at the other evidence - your insurer may choose to settle with the other party dispute your wishes - as it's their money to pay out. All they provide to you is cover in case you are involved in an accident.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,