JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have been occupying my rented house for 11 years. The

Hi my name is***** have been occupying my rented house for 11 years. The house was repossessed and sold to a new landlord. The new landlord came and asked for 800 euro when my former rent was 400 euro. I started paying 600 euro based on our agreement but he raised a dispute with the RTB.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I won the case as I have a part 4 tenancy agreement with him. He has appealed the Adjudicator's decision and the case has been referred to the tribunal.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I live in Edgeworthstown Co Longford
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The landlords lawyer sent a termination notice today even though the tribunal hearing date has not been set.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

The landlord clearly shouldn't be evicting you, certainly not until the tribunal has heard this dispute and made a decision.

I don't know why the lawyer has done this when clearly the dispute has not yet been resolved.

You can reply to the landlord that they are attempting an illegal eviction and you will oppose the demand to terminate on that basis.

You should stay in the property until the outcome of the decision is known - in addition, you should notify Threshold (the housing charity) of the landlord's conduct - you can reach them by telephone on 1800 454 454 or you can reach them via their website which is here: https://www.threshold.ie

If you prefer a lawyer to deal with this and to contact the landlord, you can find a local solicitor via this site :

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search

Given the landlord has a lawyer, it would make sense for you to use your own so as to be on a level playing field in this dispute - I would hope that Threshold could help you without you having to do that however.

If money is an issue for a lawyer, you can ask your local legal clinic for assistance - they are free to use and yours is here:

https://www.flac.ie/help/centres/longford/

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much Jim for your help. I absolutely agree with you and I will get in touch with threshold. I have stayed long in the house and raised four children as a single parent. I see the landlord as prejudicial and biased. He's been wanting to get rid of me since he set eyes on me as his tenant He is Indian and has been very mean to me.
But I believe everything will work out well for me.
Thank you once again
Best regards
Olasumbo Kuponiyi

Hi there, my pleasure and thank you - best of luck and have a good evening.

Jim

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you I appreciate you.
Much love
Cheers

My pleasure, thanks again