How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 1691
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I lent a large sum of money to a friend. they agreed to pay

This answer was rated:

hi, i lent a large sum of money to a friend. they agreed to pay me back but it’s been at least 8 months now and i think im getting somewhere but then i don’t get anything. i’ve suggested payment plans and all but nothing works. what can i do.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ireland republic
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i’ve suggested payment plans of getting €100 a week or €50 a week. i have tried meeting up with them to get the money in person but that didn’t work
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: ive evidence of all the transactions that have occurred but that’s it.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no honestly i just want to know how i can proceed as it’s been too long without it

I see. In your case, you can use small claims against your friend. The procedure is intended for claims of up to €2,000 and can be summarised as follows:

(1) You will complete an application form and send it to the Small Claims Registrar with the relevant fee or applies online
(2) The application is registered by the Registrar
(3) A copy of the claim and a Notice of Claim is sent by the Registrar to the respondent (your friend)

Once your case has been referred for a hearing in the District Court, you will receive a letter from the District Court office telling you the date and time of the court hearing and the location of the court itself. The case will be heard in public as part of a normal sitting of the District Court.

You may access detailed guidance on how to apply to the small claims registrar on the Courts Service website. You should print an application for the small claims procedure (doc). This application form is also available from local District Court offices.

Also, usually, staff in the District Court office can help you in completing the application form.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no that is perfect thank you.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

MARTINT330 and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you