Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a defendant do I have to be provided. Book of Pleadings

I am a defendant do I have to be provided. Book of Pleadings from plaintiff counsel before trial
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland Republic
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Was in court today order given I was a lay litigant wasn't given book of pleading by counsel for the plaintiff
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It was respossession case judge gave order feel very unfair as had no info beforehand
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1.  I regret to say that there is no rule of court that a Defendant to a repossession case has to be given a book of Pleadings from the Plaintiff's counsel before trial of the matter.  Whilst it is good practice for this to happen, there is nothing in the rules of court which require it to occur.  Essentially, you have to provide your own set of pleadings and court papers, if you are a lay litigant in repossession proceedings. In future, you should request a copy of the pleadings in advance of the hearing of the case, if there is some material you don't have.  This is the best way to proceed if you don't have all the pleadings in advance of the hearing of a case.

2.  If you require clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your Question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No I am appealing the decision to a higher court I will endeavour to get the pleadings for the appeal date to have info for that If I had requested do they to provide in all cases?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for advice

3.  There is no obligation to provide pleadings to the other side in a case, even if requested.  Essentially, each side is to provide their own papers.  However, if you show you don't have them, then they should be provided.  However, you should do this in advance of taking an appeal and have the papers together for any bundle needed at the hearing of the case.

4.  You are welcome to the advice.  Glad to be of assistance.