How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 17075
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I applied for a mortgage (Residential) but it was refused on

This answer was rated:

Hi, I applied for a mortgage (Residential) but it was refused on the grounds that apparently there is a judgement against me. Revenue did have a case against me many years ago but the case was dismissed in the Circuit Court. How do I resolve this issue? I am self employed.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Clare
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none as of yet. I only discovered this yesterday afternoon. (I am very taken aback by this)
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Its so long ago I can't remember exactly when the case was but a rough guess was at least 15 years ago.
Hello, this is Jim and thanks for the question.
Have you seen a copy of your credit report yet?. It can’t be a judgment from Revenue if it was that long ago. Have you moved house in the last few years?.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no Jim, My broker just called me yesterday and said they had refused on ground of the judgement against me. I have applied for a copy of my credit report from Central Credit Register but I'm not sure how long it will take
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no I haven't moved house , I've been at the same address for almost 30 years
Thanks, ***** ***** lender will have credit checked you, so you’d need to have a look first. You can also make a subject access request to the mortgage lender to see what they have on you (data-wise). But until the credit report is checked there’s not much you can do at this point. Whoever put a mark on the record could be approached to ask to remove it. If it’s a financial institution then the Financial Ombudsman can be asked to step in and help. It’s possible to apply to court to set aside judgment but this would be required if the party which sued and won without your knowledge refuses to agree to the judgment being set aside. You’d have to write to them to ask for their agreement and to so that you’d need the credit record to know who it is.
I hope this helps
Apologies, I’m unavailable for a call at present though the request is open to other experts and one of them may contact you shortly
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Jim.
My pleasure
JimLawyer and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you