MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I'm being blackmailed online. They have nude photos of me

Customer Question

I'm being blackmailed online. They have nude photos of me and are threatening to send them to all my Instagram friends. I have paid €700 to them so far and they want more tomorrow and I'm working a 12 hour shift
JA: When was the last message? What did it say exactly?
Customer: They want the final 300 tomorrow and when I said I was working he said tomorrow night but make €500
JA: Were the police contacted? If so, what happened?
Customer: No this is the first thing I've done. I've been in a state of shock for the last day or so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No not really. They contact me WhatsApp and its a Nigerian number
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

If you find yourself in a situation where someone is threatening to share intimate images of you, you should keep in mind that paying is unlikely to stop the blackmailer's demands. If possible, stop responding to their messages or emails. Write down as much information as you can about the threat or multiple threats. If they have threatened you over text, make sure to take screenshots as evidence.

Threatening someone is a form of harassment, which is a crime. You can report it to the Gardaí, and they will be able to guide you through the process. After you file a report, you usually make an appointment a few days later to give a statement. The Gardaí will then investigate the crime based on what’s in the statement.

Once the investigation wraps up, the prosecutor will decide whether the case is strong enough to go to court.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.