Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a s-type jaguar 4.0 v8 auto. the shock absorbers are

Hi I have a s-type jaguar 4.0 v8 auto. the shock absorbers are very oily and greasy & I've been told it will fail it's MOT on this? also the alternator light is coming on the dash board and when driving it is slowing the car down when it flashes on and off

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

if the shocks have been leaking and it sound like they have been then yes it will fail an MOT as the shock absorbers won't be very effective and this makes the car dangerous to drive

regarding the alternator light I'd check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you I will take this advice to my mechanic