Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a 2012 jaguar xk. Something is completely draining a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 jaguar xk. Something is completely draining a full (new) battery in about 5 days.I'm getting a warning on the dash 'pedestrian sensor' I think it says. It's also coming up as a hard error in diagnostics. Just wondered what's the best way forward as at the moment I have to disconnect the battery every time I leave the car.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What has to be done here and the best thing to do first is to have the fault codes checked using a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done if any codes are set those codes will need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.

What also needs to be done if the codes reveal no major issues that would cause this draw/drain is to have a parasitic drain/draw test performed with a multi meter.This will pinpoint which component is draining the battery needs replaced.Any shop or dealer can do this as well as anyone with a multi meter.Below is the procedure.If a shop or dealer does this for you they will usually charge anywhere between 1 and 2 hours labor to test this.

O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamps or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamps.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete