Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The radio on my 1997 XK8 has stopped changing channels. How

The radio on my 1997 XK8 has stopped changing channels. How do I remove it from the dashboard so I can get it fixed?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Its a bit involved I'm afraid

1. Remove the black trim panel holding the cruise control and sport mode buttons from around the shifter. There are 4 clips holding the panel on: upper left, lower left upper right and lower right. Be careful, they break easily. Remove the wires from the buttons.

2. There are two brackets holding the wood panel down, one on each side of the shifter. Remove the two screws holding down each bracket. Be sure you note the orientation of the brackets - it will make re-installation easier. Lift off the wood trim panel.

3. Under the wood trim you just removed, there are four bolts fastening the console to the car. Remove them.
4. Open the console lid. Remove the two screws fastening the latch strike plate. Again, make note of the positioning of the latch plate for reinstallation
5. Remove any other screws retaining the console compartment. Lift out the compartment liner. Close the console lid.
6. At the rear of the console is a trim cover. It is held by two tension clips. Just pull it off.
7. There are two bolts under the rear trim cover - remove them.
8. Remove the console.
9. Remove the screws holding the radio in the dashboard and pull the radio forward.
10. Remove the antenna wire and wiring harness connectors from the back of the radio.
11. Unbolt the ground wire from the back of the radio.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your advice. I will not have time to try this until the Easter weekend so I will return to your note and provide you with a full reply when I have tried your suggestion.

understood

good luck

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt