sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Matt, I have just got myself a S Type V6 2.5 cc Jaguar.

Customer Question

Hi Matt, I have just got myself a S Type V6 2.5 cc Jaguar.
drove it home parked in a slight hill.
Next morning started car! but brake light stayed on and I could not move Gear stick out of Park ... been back several times to try but after two days I am distraught (at 76 years old I expect you would be to Ha
Regards Jack
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for Any delay.
Mr. Jack, Your problem could be caused due several things. i would like to know:
have you checked your battery? what have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had the AA roadside service look at the car yesterday, and he could nott fix the problem ,,, today the car is being taken to a Garage>?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not know if he checked the battery what is there to check there ? as the car starts no problem

Dear customer, the problem with your car may be due several things that i will like to name and explain a bit.

The problem with your car may be due several things that i will like to name and explain a bit.
1) Flat Battery,
2) Brake fuse defective fusible del freno defectuoso
3)Brake sensor defective sensor del freno defectuoso
4) Gearbox lever presents problems

I would like to explain why these factors should be reviewed, what happens is that the transmission to release ¨P¨ needs to detect that the brake is pushed or activated, which is not happening and therefore you have the indicator activated, so you can be having problems in the battery with a low voltage, caused this sensor is affected, as you said the battery is Ok, so this aspect is ruled out.

You may also have problems with the brake sensor fuse, that may be damaged, so it does not activate the brake sensor.

A direct problem in the brake sensor, which is faulty and it does not activate.

As you will understand the transmission needs this brake signal to be able to unlock the lever because the computer thinks that the car would move unexpectly or accidentally, so as safety mode to protect the car, it locks the lever in P.

If these factors are correct, one last option is a problem in the gear lever,it can be changed. This piece is sold complete, quite expensive, but first check the above procedures and hoppefully te problem will be solve without need of change the lever.

Is your query clear dear customer? is something else i could help you?
I also would like to remind you to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. because in that way you help me grow in the platform. Even after your rating i can keep helping you. Thank you.

Regards, Sebastian.