Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I intend to buy a 2001 Jaguar S class sport petrol engine.

Customer Question

Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It has done 60000 miles and I;m not sure whether it is a belt cam or chain and whether as it is the "sport" version has a firm ride. Also are the tyres low profile and expensive to replace ? One owner asking £500 for it. Good value if in good condition ?
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. I thought about kwik fit who would check it out and do any remedial work.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, that's all for now. Just the cam belt query, and tyre type re comfort. Also the asking price of £500.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am happy to wait.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Registration number?? What engine size is it - the V6 version ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine size 3 litre V6 Sport version.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..the 3.0 DOHC V6 is a timing chain driven engine..so in theory you should need to touch that unless the mileage is somewhat in the 6 figures upto in the region of 150k..but obviously key requirements is to have routine oil and filters changes every 10,000miles to ensure the lifespan of the timing chain....As far as tyres goes.all season tyres are normally cost effective..BUT you have to remember theee are alot of brands out there..so it not really a case of pinning it to one brand..its really based on price / brand / reduced road noise...if i was to advise..there are many sites like black circles, kwik fit etc..that can list a whole range of tyres..it just a case of what fits you budget at the end of the day..but stick to middle brand/cost wise..... As far the sale cost £500.. Jags are well known to depreciate rapidly from new..so its not surprising to see them sold in and aorund prices like. that..its does sound in my opinion exteremly cheap..so i would be extremely cautious as to what your buying here..as any problems major like gearbox..suspension etc could well spiral out of control, parts arent the cheapest for jag's especailly so if you have to get stuff from the dealer..but like wise if you get it £500 then your bascially not losing much..just gaining alot more to get it taxed and running costs then anything else...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Robert, Thank you very much. Very helpful. Regards, Dennis.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome...If you could leave a rating on the answer above for me it would be much appreciated..thank you