Gregg Lathem
Gregg Lathem,
Experience:  customer service representative at volt consulting group
103950778

I have a jaguar x type 2001 2.5ltr v6 automatic which has a

I have a jaguar x type 2001 2.5ltr v6 automatic which has a gear problem. Can rarely accelerates over 60mph as the car starts to over-rev and will not stay in gear. Generally car goes into limp mode and 'gearbox fault' comes up on the dash. Slowing down and accelerating again is problematic, over revs and dificulty changing gear.
Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: I have no idea. I'm not mechanically minded. Have taken my car to a garage but even they can't seem to find the fault. I have had the car 2 months.
Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing X type myself.I'm waitiing on a mechanic getting back to me with some answers.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't remember the fault code my mechanic found, it was something like 'gear 5 fault'

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Sorry to hear you are having this problem with your X-type. I worked at a Jaguar dealership between 2000 - 2010 and replaced more X-type transmissions than I could count. The 5th gear ratio fault indicates an internal failure of the transmission. Unfortunately the only remedy is to have the transmissions replaced or repaired. The transmission failure on these vehicles would occur upwards of 50,000 miles so Jaguar was never forced to issue a recall.

I am sorry to be the bearer of this bad news. If there is anything else I can do to assist please let me know.

You will receive an Automated prompt for a phone call. There is an additional fee for this and is
NOT required. Continuing with the chat is perfectly fine.
If I don't immediately respond I am assisting another customer and will respond as soon as possible.

100% Customer Satisfaction is my Goal.
If you are satisfied with the answers I have provided, your 5-star rating is greatly appreciated -
(Where the Stars are by “Rate My Service”).
If you are not satisfied or have any other questions please let me know and I will do
all I can to further assist.