sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I'm getting Restricted Performance issue, 2005 S Type 2.7

Customer Question

I'm getting Restricted Performance issue
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2005 S Type 2.7 Litre V6 Diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: EGR Valves have been replaced. That didn't fix issue. Also, a diesel additive and also avoiding driving in traffic and switching off the engine when idle, i.e. sitting at a level crossing.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 2005 March 2019
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just wondering what other causes there could be other than the Diesel Particle Filter potentially being blocked.Customer: I have to pay what?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, have you scanned your car so far? if so, do you have the error codes?
Also do you have any kind of indicator lit on your dashboard?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no idea how to scan error codes. When I get the error I only get an Amber warning and the words Restricted Performance. Restarting the engine fixes it. I've also been told to use Sports mode but this doesn't fix it. When I drive the car, it doesn't happen all the time as well. At the moment, if it comes on, it's usually in the morning. I've also noticed more recently the car seems to struggle to get from 30mph to 50mph. After an engine restart its normally ok.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pls note EGR valves were replaced in May 2019 by a local garage.

Dear customer My apologies to reply back to you soon. I had some personal issues and i had to go out.

I understand your query. The worst that I am observing is that an error code is being generated in the operation of the vehicle that is causing the limp mode, your Jaguar has multiple sensors that monitors the operation of the different components of the vehicle, when a component whatever it begins to fail or have defects, the sensor receives this reading and sends it to the main computer of the vehicle, the computer to receive this bad signal commands the vehicle to protect itself by entering a restricted or limp mode, so that the vehicle can not be required to avoid any major failure at some later time.

When you turn the vehicle off and on, you are indeed restarting the system. This causes the error code not to appear until the sensor detects the failure in the system and it returns to the whole process of sending the signal to the computer, you have back again the limp mode with restricted performance.
.
The only way to know what sensor is giving the bad reading is through a diagnostic equipment with the Jaguar software and I do not speak precisely that you must go to a Jaguar dealership, but today Many garages have multi-brand equipments that can enter to the computers and modules of the vehicle and give it the sensor that is causing this problem.
It is very necessary to carry out the diagnosis first and based on the sensor codes but also the operating part on which it acts.As long as the computerized diagnosis is not made, it will simply work in a random manner and the exact problem can not be reached exactly. We can start replacing parts but it can make it spent tons of money without the warrant of find the root of the problem.

if the error codes are related to the EGR, it can be due to a gases recirculation problem. i want to explain you how it works.

The function of the EGR valve is simple and we can intuit it from its own name (Exahust Gas Recirculation), Its job is to recirculate part of the gases that come out of the exhaust towards the admission, it is say, reintroduce the combustion smoke of the engine in the cylinders in order to reduce the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx). The EGR valve connects the exhaust manifolds with the intake manifolds and its opening depends on various parameters. The key to the reduction of nitrogen oxides is the reduction of the temperature in the combustion chamber by recirculating the exhaust gases to it.

The EGR valve which recirculates the exhaust gases, if you get to re-present error codes and the Egr valve has already been replaced, the exhaust could be having problems, you can be transporting the exhaust problems to the EGR valve, a system Clogged exhaust or a clogged catalytic converter recirculates this carbon and all that dirt towards the admission back towards the turbo, and the scanner could detect a problem in the recirculation of exhaust gases because it detects the obstruction that is happening because of the dirt.

But, again this would already depend on the error codes present in the diagnostic equipment.