CarDoc
CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Ive had the wheels off my XKR now i can't get them back on

Customer Question

Ive had the wheels off my XKR now i can't get them back on as they bind on the inner wheel arch. Is this likely to be a suspension issue eg lower arm has dropped to low?
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the Jaguar?
Customer: No fluid and ride was ok, had wheel renters cleaned and repainted now they don't fit.
JA: What year is your XKR?
Customer: 2001 X100
JA: Are you fixing your XKR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes it in my drive. Ive tried jacking car up under suspension arm but no different. Hub carrier is along way below bump stop.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Tire pressure is a little high at 3.4 bar but don't think that will cause an issue.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Why were the wheels removed from the car? Did you have suspension work done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had wheel centres repainted
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Did you jack it up correctly on the jack points?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes jacked up on jacking points under sill
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the car on a level surface? Was the wheel off the ground when you removed it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes and Yes
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Try jacking it up higher. The control arm and wheel hub should stay in its place when you remove the wheel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its jacked up high under the control arm but seems like wheel is still too low
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

So you have place the jack under the control arm and not the sill, this may be pushing the control arm upwards and therefor raising the wheel hub so, you can't fit the wheel in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But if I jack under sill the hub drops a bit and therefore gets closer to inner arch and suspension mounts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I then put wheel on and lower the car the wheel binds on inner arch
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Put a block of wood under the sill jacking point and put the jack on that, it will raise the car higher.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Was it binding before you took the wheel off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not there was no problem othe than wheels looked crap as paint was bubbling with corrosion.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Have a look at the spring and strut, make sure the spring hasn't snapped. This is odd.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Spring looks good. Is there anything that can stop strut from compressing normally?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

If the spring is broken, the wheels will hit the arch, a failure of the strut will leak or compress very easily but I can't see why it would fail by just removing a wheel.

Can you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I' get back to you shortlyll
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Ok, thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any help?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

I can't see the picture. Use the paperclip button to upload an image.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ve sent 3. Try this.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

You can only upload 1 at a time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get photos?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Yes I have the photos, where is it binding exactly?

The jack looks in the wrong place though, it will push the hub upwards so, you won't be able to get the wheel on the hub. Make sure the jack lifts the car without putting force on the control arm (wishbone).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I’ll move the jack. In photo 2 you can see the light stripe. It’s on the edge of a seam. Inner face of wheel/tire is binding there.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Ohh! So you can get the wheel on the hub but it's binding on the inner side of the wheel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Exactly
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Have the wheels been altered in anyway other than adding thoses covers?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If by covers you are talking about the stainless steel rims they are original. The center was removed cleaned, repainted and replaced.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

You need to inspect those rims and make sure they are seated and bolted correctly, something has been altered which is causing the wheel to sit more deeper in the wheel arch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was my initial thought but the amount of clearance required is too much for it to be taken up in the Wheel. I’ll take them apart and rebuild them but I’m not convinced that’s the issue. I’d say I need to find about 5 mm.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

If the rims are sat higher than what they were before you took them apart, this will shift the entire wheel inwards. Did you mark the rims so they go back onto the wheel that they came off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They can only go on in one position
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.
I know they go on only one way but if you change them around, they may not fit correctly on different wheels, that’s why it is important to mark which rim came off which wheel.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 month ago.

Just a follow up, did you manage to get this sorted?