Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Re Jaguar XJ8 1999 model: while driving through London in

re Jaguar XJ8 1999 model: while driving through London in heavy traffic, lots of idling, the fault display showed 'restricted (or limited) performance" . There was a small shivering/shaking and the car was slow when I pressed the accelerator. After being parked for about an hour everything was back to normal. Can you explain or tell me ifI have to visit a garage? The mileage is 77,000miles . I don't drive the car very often. brgds Jens

Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help you.

The fault display showing restricted performance should have left a fault code in the memory of the engine control unit, this will be readable using suitable diagnostic equipment.

The cause may have been one of many possible scenarios but one of the common failures on your vehicle is the throttle pedal connections.

This can be an intermittent problem and may not arise again, but it would be wise to get the ECU scanned for codes to prevent further problems from occurring.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue. Even
After clicking accept you can continue to ask further questions on the matter by replying to this thread.
Many Thanks
Steve

Stephen Rothwell,
Experience: Director at Steve Rothwell Limited