Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry,
Experience:  dasdasd
105804848

I have a 2001 XK8 convertible with 97000 miles on the clock.

Hi. I have a 2001 XK8 convertible with 97000 miles on the clock. It’s in great condition but a couple of days ago I heard a short rattle at start up and the next day the engine didn’t even fire and seized. I fear this may be timing chain tensioner failure leading to the chain slipping. I’ve read a lot of horror stories about this online! I really could do with some advice on where to start with this. Lots of people saying things like ‘engine death’ and it’s uneconomical to repair, online.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: happened once. Came from the front of the engine then the next day it wouldn’t start at all.
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I’m no mechanic. Nothing has been done at all yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hi my name is Gavin can I help you with this ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I suppose what I’m asking is, should I bother to pay to get my car to a local mechanic or Jag specialist or is there no point after an engine failure like this happens?

Yes the timing chains are a big issue but you say the next day it would not turn over did you drive it home then it just would not turn over the next morning ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes. That’s right.

A timing chain 90% of the time fail while running it would also turn over via the starter motor and just not start. Are you confident around engines to do some simple checks .

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes I can have a go a simple checks

Could you check the engine turns over by hand for me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think it tried to move but the starter motor can’t get it to turn at all after 3 attempts.

So what happened when you first tried to start the car did it turn over at all .

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No not really - maybe half a turn

Are you just getting a click sound.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No more of a screech

Like a metal on metal screech.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes

That sounds more like starter motor / ring gear I really could do with you turning it over by hand but if you are not confident with doing that that is fair enough.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is it easy to do? Can you tell me how to do this?

Do you have a set of large sockets.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Unfortunately not - sorry.

ok If i give you a $5 phone request I could give you my phone number and I can hear the noise you do not have to it is just an offer .

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay. Let’s try that

Can i have your phone number please.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My number is 07595351790
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Gavin. As my car is not pre-2000, I’ve checked the VIN and it confirms that it wasn’t fitted with Nikasil cylinder liners. Is it still worth removing the spark plugs and adding a bit of oil to the cylinder to check for compression? It’s looking most likely that a tensioner has failed and the timing chain has slipped causing damage to the engine. Is this ever something that can be repaired?