Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Am trying to identify a part (sensor?) located at the front

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Am trying to identify a part (sensor?) located at the front of the engine. There is one either side of engine. Have a photo but don't know how to put it here. Chris
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No codes. Don't know if its a vvt sensor, cam position etc. How can I send a pic showing the precise item?
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2006 s type 3.0 v6
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Am tooo old so will let a friend do the job. All I can tell you is the item appears to come up through the manifold of rocker cover. There is an oil leak which when a smoke test was carried out showed an air leak as smoke escaped
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: If you look at a pic of the inlet manifold drivers side, then the sensor ssits directly under where the manifold splits and is at the front just behind the carb equivalent

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. Please do feel free to send me your name so that I know who I have the pleasure of speaking with. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread. At times you may experience a delay in receiving my message, let me assure you I will give you my full attention, but may need time to type out the reply.

Do you have the registration number of your Jaguar please, I can get the details up then.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, name is ***** ***** the reg is BJ55LGO. If you can send a contact number I will send a pic of what I'm trying to ask

Hi Chris

The system should send a link but if not we can work around this, give me a second please I will retrieve the details for your Jaguar.

Steve

Hi Chris

I have attached an image of the engine on your Jaguar S-type, you will see on the image the numbers 5 & 6 these are the camshaft actuators and are I suspect the parts you are trying to identify. The camshaft sensors are number 3 & 4 which are at the rear of the engine.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details if there is any point which you are uncertain of, by replying to this thread. I am happy to help.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Just to confirm this sensor would go through the cam area and would fail as you have described.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry but wrong. This is the sensor I am talking about

Hi thank you for the picture Chris please give me a second to look closely at the picture.

Steve

Hi Chris

Just to confirm it is the one I have circled red, this is the engine oil temperature sensor

Marked 12 on the previous diagram.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just to confirm There are 2 of these, one either side

Hi Chris

There should only be one, please give me a moment to recheck the diagram, I am just going to open up my jaguar programme on another computer to ensure I have the correct details for you, I have a feeling that this diagram is the earlier 2003 version, and changes were made.

Please bear with me one moment please

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No probs Steve

Thank you for your patience, I want to ensure I give accurate information.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
By the way, this is the correct item thats leaking!!

Hi Chris

Just opening the programme up now.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Whilst you are looking on the other comp the background is that a smoke test was carried out last night and it leaked something awful. When the area was hit with compressed air to clean it up the smoke then came back out of the place it was put in. My concern is that if there is a vacuum leak it will affect the fuel trim.

Hi Chris

The fuel trim should be controlled and the crankcase will be regulated by the breather valve, but yes if the system is not sealed, this can have an adverse effect.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Would I be right in thinking to replace this, whatever it is lol, then as it looks like both the inlet manifold and rocker cover will have to be removed as it is secured in the rocker housing itself?

Hi Chris

Yes is would need the inlet manifold and rocker cover removing, it the leak coming from the actual sensor or is it the seal around the rocker cover?

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hard to say but the smoke when it appeared seemed to go almost around the o ring so suspect the latter. Being old school I will replace the entire unit just to be sure it's done right
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There were no leaks coming from the rocker cover itself just around the unit
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
To clarify if you shrink the red circle on your diagramme to the size of the sensor this is where the smoke emitted from

Hi Chris

Thank you for waiting, I have the information now, this was only on the later engines, and is the variable timing actuator / solenoid.

The first image I sent was up to 2003, this engine didn't have the VVt system.

It is very likely just the O ring leaking as looking at a picture of the actuator, there should be no access for the engine breather system to enter the unit.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you know the part number

Hi Chris

The number I have is AJ810570

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today Chris and I hope I helped. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries. If at any time in the future you wish to ask another question you can contact me directly by typing @R-Steve2019 in the text box.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve