Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a 2011 new model Jeep Grand Cherokee which has a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2011 new model Jeep Grand Cherokee which has a knocking noise from the rear differential area. This knocking only happens when the oil temperature is up and doesn't happen whe its cold. I've had it to the main dealership 8 times. They do inform me that they can hear the knocking but cannot locate! The noise only used to happen when the auto box changed from 1st too 2nd but now knockes when asking for power in top gear. It's just like sitting on a bike and you change gears, clunky when the chain is moving over to a new gear!! I have asked the main dealer to strip out the running gear to investigate further! But they won't strip unless they know exactly where the issue is? I've had it to a gearbox specialist but they have informed me it's not the gearbox. The rear diff oil has been regularly changed with excessive fillings coming out which would make me think it's the diff that's causing the problems? I recently placed the vehicle into spots and floored it which has now slightly improved the knocking but once the oil heats up! The knocking returns. The vehicle feels tighter to drive after I put it in sports although I only placed into sports for 10secs before putting back into auto. What's your thoughts? Much appreciated Garry
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You may have an issue in the rear differential with a bearing failing for the carrier or pinion causing this fault here or an issue with the ring and pinion or spider gear wear.If they have not inspected these in the rear differential this needs to be done to see if any of these are an issue needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete