Philip Wessels
Philip Wessels,
Experience:  owner at point zero
106201380

There is a high pitched noise that is not an engin noise. It

There is a high pitched noise that is not an engin noise. It is inside the car. It stops for a few seconds when changed into reverse, then starts again. Occasionally there are a few beeps
Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery is fine. Lights come on
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2014 Jk unlimited Rubicon
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We tried turning things off and on again. Switching between gears, high and lo. All knobs on the dash, on and off
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hi; My Name is ***** ***** I would love to assist you today with this issue.

Can you answer these 2 questions in the meantime and I will try and determine how to help:

1. Have you towed anything with the Jeep lately or in the passed? If so what?

2. Does the whining noise go and come back if you change speeds slightly with the accelerator pedal ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. We towed a small utility trailer, the plug for the lights did not match so we did not use the plug as we were on private property. It does sound like a warning signal, but no light indicator to give us a clue as to the problem. It seems like something needs to be reset.
2. The noise is constant when driving, there is a pitch change, but it seems unrelated to speed.

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to acertain if the noise is more of a 'gear' whin or a high digital beeping pitch ?

If you think it is an electronic type noise then we can try and reset the Jeeps ECU (computer). You can do this by doing the following:

1. Disconnect the battery by disconnecting the Negative connector cable first.

2. Then disconnect the Positive cable.

3. Wait for 2-3minutes then connect the Positive first - then Negative.

4. Turn on your Vehicle.

This should reset all ECU parameters and sensors. Please note that it could take a few minutes to a few days for everything to be restored in the Unit but this should be a good test for the noise - IF it is an electronic issue.

If you feel that the noise is more mechanical (like a vacuum cleaner sound) - Then it could be the issues with the Rear Diff and pinion gears or low fluid in these gears.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We followed your suggested steps, the computer reset. However the noise continued. We cheked all the fuses. When fuse no m27 for the ignition switch and window module was removed the sound stopped. We have located the problem. When the fuse is replaced the sound returned.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The issue has been resolved. Took it to a mechanic - thank you for your help.

That is great news that you found the problem. It can be so frustrating not finding issues like that. Please don't forget to rate my service to you. Even though we did not supply you with the solution this time, we are always here to try and assist you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance today. :)

Philip Wessels,
Experience: owner at point zero