sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2017 jeep renegade and the electric sunroof is

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2017 jeep renegade and the electric sunroof is stuck in the open position. I have swept the rails out for debris and tried manually winding the mechanism via the hole in the roof and Allen key to no avail. Whilst trying to free it I have heard a snapping sound and two small identical plastic parts have come out. My car is now stuck with bin liners covering the roof and I can't lock it otherwise the alarm goes off. Can anyone give me any advice as the dealership I bought the car from has closed and I can't find a phone number for Jeep anywhere
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: No not yet. I suspect the roof has now broken due to the parts that have come out
JA: Are you fixing your Renegade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This has happened before and we contacted the dealership for advice. They said most likely a leaf caught in the rails and after several hours we managed to get it working again. I have cleared out the rails and that didn't work. I have also accessed the Allen key point in the ceiling to try and manually close it but something was physically holding it back
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, it is likely that something has got stuck in the rail, the problem is that they would have to disassemble it because if the roof is not moving we when the cleaning is made, it is likely that something has got stuck inside the rail and for this it is necessary to disassemble.

If you want, you can tell me your location so I can help you locate a nearby garage that can help you.

Anyway, if you want to carry out reviews by yourself, I see that you have already done the cleaning, so I recommend you do a check of fuses and relays, probably it has problems at electrical system, maybe the motor is not working correctly and normally this is mainly because the fuses and relays are not activating.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Definitely not electrical as the switch works and the motor is moving the window forward but only about 1cm and then it stops.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If you can recommend anywhere for me to take the car I would be grateful as I can't find a local jeep service centre online
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are you still there?

Yes dear customer, could you tell me please your location to help you with.