sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 1999 TJ jeep wrangler and the immobiliser has

Customer Question

hi - i have a 1999 TJ jeep wrangler and the immobiliser has stopepd working
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its on the key fob
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes - battery is ok and my second set of keys also does not work so i think it is to day with the main consile
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i am not a mechanic myself! thank yuo
Category: Jeep
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 19 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they know the make, model, year of your vehicle, engine type and size, fuel type and registration plate number.
Please provide the information above to help Experts find a solution quicker.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi - thank you.
My Jeep is a Wrangler TJ Sport: V722FDL 1999 2.5L Petrol. The immobiliser is a key fob and it deactivates a red flashing light on the dashboard when it works. I have changed batteries and tried with my spare set of keys/fob and i still get nothing. Hope you can help
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi. Thanks for explaining how it works. This information I had already from a blog. I really need to know how to start the car. Is it something I can do myself or do I have no choice but to go to a dealer or auto locksmith? I was hoping you may know of some trick?

No dear customer, unfortunately there are no tricks for this, deactivating the immobilizer system without the proper locksmith equipment is not possible.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok! Thank you. That’s the answer I think I needed. So the only solution is a proper car locksmith. Can you recommend anyone in my area perhaps? Thank you again

Dear customer, please let me know your location to help you find one.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Apologies..I thought it was on my account. I’m in hitchin near Stevenage: Sg47tz thank you

Dear customer, the following sites have been recommended to me by customers in the area.

Arc Locksmiths

+447074857917

Safeguard Locksmith

+447923172711

Lock Tech Solutions

+447866203030

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thank you for this. Arc do this type of thing but safeguard and Lock have confirmed they do not. i will push ahead with Arc and see what they can do. Thanks
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 18 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying this for me dear customer, I hope you have a good experience with these references.