sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a Sorento 2006 manual box, when driving in 5th gear

Customer Question

I have a Sorento 2006 manual box, when driving in 5th gear on the motorway, it makes a loud thud and drive is lost, no matter what gear I select there is no drive as if the clutch has gone. After pulling over and turning the ignition on and off the drive returns and the clutch is fine again?
Category: Kia
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.
Dear customer, could you tell me what have you checked so far?
have you made a computer diagnosis, could you also tell me the mileage of your sorento and the latest maintenance you have done please?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Serviced every year, no lights showing on dash so diagnostics not picking anything up, rang a kia dealer today they suggested that diagnostics would probably be a waste of money and that they were stumped.

Dear customer, never a computerized diagnosis is a waste of money if the technician has a good level of knowledge in Kia just by observing the scanner can verify that it is absolutely all the sensors are in good values of operation because one thing is to verify the error codes and another thing is to verify the values in the live data stream, but ignoring the issue of the scanner could you please clarify if your transmission is manual or your sorento model has Dual transmission?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
manual

Very good dear customer, thanks for the clarification, could you tell me if the sound is like the gears hitting? Or like a metal grinding?

Also, the gearbox does not release the gear?

Finally, when stepping on the clutch the sound disappears?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if you were to force the gear stick into neutral when driving without touching the clutch pedal that is the sound it makes, no grinding or gears hitting.

how much time do you have without replacing the clutch master kit?
It looks like a wear in the release bearing of the clutch.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the car has done 117,000 miles and I don't think it has ever had a clutch replacement

Dear customer, sorry for my delay i was in my way back to home.

A clutch kit can last depending on the user and the city in which it is being driven. When they are places that require a lot to use the clutch because a lot of hills for example the clutch wear out faster.
Your car is at a correct mileage for a replacement so It is very likely that what is causing this problem is a component of the clutch kit either release bearing/flywheel, pressure plate etc.
You should always replace the whole kit because this work merits disassembly of the gearbox. So replacing a component and then replacing another component within a few miles is not economically acceptable because this work has a cost of regular labor according to where you do it.

So we need to perform a review of the clutch system and then change the kit because when we have problems like yours, it is indicating us wear out in this kit and once it will be changed, the problem will be sorted out.

Have you understood dear customer?

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 4 days ago.

Have you understood dear customer?

My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped.
Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. because in that way you help me grow in the platform.

Even after you rate, we can keep in touch to further queries in this chat.

Regards, Sebastian.