Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

2006 Kia Sportage 20 CDI. Car will not drive. engine runs

2006 Kia Sportage 20 CDI.
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car will not drive. engine runs clutch works and gear engages, but car will not move forwards or backwards. Well it will but with terrible crunching sound and what I think is the rear wheels dragging.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No, clutch and manual shift seems to work ok
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi my name is ***** ***** I help you with this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just trying to get an idea what is going on. Do the viscous couplings sometimes fail and lock up the rear wheels? I had the clutch and dual mass flywheel changed last year, 10000 miles ago now but could thqat have been done wrong?

It does sound like the rear diff has seized were you driving when this happened sounds a stupid question but I need to know how it has failed.

In regards ***** ***** duel mass been replaced the rear differential is a separate issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seemed to happen when I was reversing out of a parking space

Did you drive it after that happened ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sort of freed up, got worse, freed up, got worse. burny clutch, lots of crunching, after a couple of hundred yards I pulled over, at which point at least one of the wheels was locked....

The rear diff has seized then i am sorry to say .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ouch. silly question, but do I need it? Is it possible to pull the diff out out and drive a few hundred yards home??

No it does not work that way I am afraid. It is not a huge issue they are cheap to buy used and the labour is not that big .

Is there anything more I can help you with ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, sorry, was on the phone. No, thats very helpful, thank you

Morning if you need me just get back to me and if you get time feel free to rate me regards Gavin.