CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Drove new Kia Sportage 50 miles yesterday only to find the

Customer Question

Drove new Kia Sportage 50 miles yesterday only to find the key was at home. No warning light or buzzer. Turned engine off before realising. Is this normal.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: a warning that no key in the car
JA: What year is your Sportage?
Customer: 2019. 500 miles on the clock.
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It’s fixed because I got someone ti bring me the key.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Kia
Expert:  CarDoc replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Expert:  CarDoc replied 17 days ago.

Warning you of no key present after 50 miles is not normal, that should never be normal, it's a big FAIL by Kia if key proximity is only checked once. I have a VW Golf, I started the car and then went back into my house and left the key in the back yard by mistake and the "no key present" come on the dashboard after 20 meters of driving. 10 seconds later, the engine turned off.

This needs to be questioned because it is an anti-theft feature.