Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Just bought a 13 plate Sportage with a panoramic sunroof.

Just bought a 13 plate Sportage with a panoramic sunroof. Opened it - no problem, but it will not close. The dealer informed me he had fitted a new battery don't know if it was reset???
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: no but I don't think the battery is the problem??
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mainly just pressing the sunroof close button
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I don't think so thank you Paul

Thank you for your question, my Name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

My first check would be to ensure the fuse hasn't blown, this is fuse number 6 in the facia fusebox (see attached diagram)

There is a reset procedure when the battery has been disconnected, but this is mainly to reset the automatic function. It would be worth going though the steps just to ensure that this is not the problem. The procedure is as follows:

1.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Open the roller blind.

3. Close the sunroof.

4. Release the sunroof control lever.

5. Push the sunroof control lever forward

in the direction of close (about 10 seconds) until the sunroof is moved a little. Then, release the lever.

6. Push the sunroof control lever forward

in the direction of close until the sun-

roof operates as follows;

TILT OPEN → SLIDE OPEN →SLIDE CLOSE

Then, release the lever.

As your roof is open and the close function will not operate I would push the button to the close position and release, then push to the close position again and hold for the 10 seconds, then release and hold again for around 30 seconds, if the roof starts moving hold the switch in this position, but if it does not then something more serious may have occurred.

The sunroofs do have a habit of sticking if they have not been used for a while, and as you have only just bought the vehicle I would expect the dealer to rectify the problem if lack of lubrication and sticking is the cause.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept I can continue to answer your questions by replying to this thread

Many Thanks

Steve