Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry,
Experience:  dasdasd
105804848

I dropped my Kia Sportage (Manual transmission 2016) into my

Hello, I dropped my Kia Sportage (Manual transmission 2016) into my main dealer to get work done on the gearbox (it was grinding going in and out of 4th gear) and this work is covered under warranty, no issues so far. I got a call the day after to tell me that the clutch was gone and needed replacement. There had been no sign of wear and tear on the clutch in terms of driving, i.e. no slipping with increased revs etc noticeable in any way. I am being told that this is not covered under the warranty and that my car is not driveable unless the clutch is replaced. I cannot understand how the clutch goes from no observed issue at all to failure in a day. Does this sound plausible to you and is this an issue with Kia Sportages? Any feedback appreciated. Regards Ed.
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: about 50,000 miles but no slipping or sticking observed whatsoever...
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, its with the main dealer at present. They have replaced some of the gearbox linings which was causing an issue and is covered under warranty but the clutch issue has arisen out of the blue. The car is with them and is apparently now not driveable until the clutch is replaced...
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: they have quoted a cost of €500 approx to replace the clutch which apparently is at cost?? my car was perfectly driveable before we dropped it in and now is not...

Hi my name is Gavin they are saying replace the clutch as the gearbox is removed from the vehicle the original clutch would go back in and work as it should the cost at 500 euros is very expensive as well.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Gavin, yes they are saying to replace the clutch as the gearbox is out, the €500 is cost for the clutch and apparently does not include any labour as they have the gearbox out anyway which is a fair bit of the work involved. My query is: 1. is it plausible/possible that the clutch has gone from no observed issue to failure in 24 hours while they have had the car and the issue is not in any way their fault 2. what should the cost of a replacement clutch be, parts only? Any feedback appreciated. regards Ed.

1 the state of the clutch will not of changed 2 As you are in Ireland you will have to help me help you is Euro car parts in Ireland ?

If you give me the engine size petrol or diesel I can price it up in £s

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes, euro car parts operates in ireland, I found a clutch kit at the link below, Valeo for €180 approx - is this a recommended kia replacement ? how do I respond to the main dealer who is looking for €500 to replace a clutch which was not showing any signs of wear previously?...

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/clutch-kits/products/5397629948/valeo-clutch-kit?gclid=CjwKCAiAp5nyBRABEiwApTwjXmqetBvgLyRpNsP76I0gpBO8CujXEsGcBeFazJGw7Ar503t5Ul3nlxoCjCgQAvD_BwE

The link is not working it does make sense to replace as the gearbox is removed but 500 is a rip off so just supply your own Valeo would be the original maker that supplies Kia so there should be no issue.

Do you feel like you are been (held over a barrel) by Kia.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
not necessarily by Kia but by the main dealer... I'll contact them and offer to purchase the clutch kit directly and have it shipped to them so that they can fit it free of charge as they have stated... will see what they have to say then..., thanks for your help.

I meant dealer not Kia if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Valeo Clutch Kits, Part No. 832086 - can you advise if this is the correct clutch kit?..

I can try as I do not have access to your reg number details can I have engine details please.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Engine: 1.7 CRDi [116hp. 1685cc.]

Give me 5 mins.

I have the same number 832086.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thanks for your help...

No problem.

Thank you for the bonus regards Gavin.