sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Hiya. I’ve just bought a 59 plate Kia picanto strike for my

Customer Question

Hiya. I’ve just bought a 59 plate Kia picanto strike for my daughter. Lovely car but the steering column release was jammed and I couldn’t release it. I took off the ignition console and managed to release the catch which just flopped down, but this didn’t allow for the steering column to raise or lower any higher. I couldn’t see what else to do. I hope it’s just a mechanical issue with something seized up. Please can you help.
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: Do you mean the power assisted fluids
JA: What is the model of your '59 Kia?
Customer: Kia picanto strike 1.0
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just as described earlier
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I had the car fully serviced after buying it by a local garage. They stated that the system was potentially seized up. I didn’t have time for them to investigate further as my daughter was only with me for a couple of days to collect the car.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, did the gararage do a diagnostic or do you have anyu indicator lit on your dhasboard?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Sebastien
No the garage didn’t do a diagnostic and there is no indicator light on the dashboard.
The issue appears to be a mechanical issue that the steering wheel column can not be manually raised or lowered even after loosening the height adjusting bolt behind the ignition consule

Dear customer, it seems that what you want is to make a modification of the height, when these get stuck (which is not very common) there are clearly mechanical problems in the steering stem, the street direction adjusts, it raises and lowers the problem is that to correct this, there is a high probability that you have to disassemble the entire rod. It may be that the bolts that go up and down without damage have been blocked. It may also be that the steering rod rod has been bent. So a deep review is needed in order to sort out the problem.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible that's why i am sorry for the delay! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!
Keep safe.
Kind regards, Sebastian.