Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Kia Sportage. Approx 40,000 miles on clock. At the

Customer Question

I have a Kia Sportage. Approx 40,000 miles on clock. At the last service, the mechanic commented on the stiff clutch pedal. The clutch is now slipping, badly.
JA: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?
Customer: First thought I noticed it a few weeks ago, but yesterday I really had to treat it very gently, or it slipped.
JA: What year is your Sportage?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A little beyond my skill. The car should still be under the 7 year guarantee, but only if it is an inherent defect. A Kia dealer says that is probably a worn clutch, but I do not believe that should happen at so low a mileage. My last car was a Honda which did 200,000 miles without a worn clutch.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Other than that I have had no other problems with the car, there is little else I can say that is relevant.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Hi..there..

Usually a stiff clutch pedal means the pressure plate,spring fingers are worn and thus causes you too need to depress the clutch alot harder then you normally would..it doesnt mean the friction plate is worn..it the pressure plate to clear the friction plate is likely the problem.. as such it will need a new entire clutch kit installed...

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would this cause the slipping clutch as well?
Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Quite possible for that to happen yes..if the pressure plate is worn then it could be not fully releasing or vice versa..depends how worn exactly it is...or if there is indeed damage on the plate,fingers..you'd only really know that for sure once the gearbox is taken out..im afraid..

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank. Whatever the cause, the clutch will have to come out. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Sorry for the bad news..hopefully you get it sorted out.. no problem glad to help!