Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

How much will it cost to change the ECU for a Kia Ceed 2012?

Customer Question

JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Okay
JA: What is the model of your '12 Kia?
Customer: ceed
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have tried but can’t fix it
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the car won’t start, just turning over and was told the ecu need to be changed and reprogrammed
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes, the battery was recently flat, but hat was when the problem started., the immobiliser light came on. I have changed the battery hoping it will solve the problem but no luck.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today it will be very expensive for a new ECU / programming but you have other options like a used ECU / lock set from a single donner vehicle see image.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Where can I find it to buy? Is this on sale and will it still need to be programmed after purchase?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you in Ireland?

It will be plug and play the average cost is £125 for everything.

The best place to find what you need is online get the ECU part number from your ECU that will help a lot if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Gavin, just left Kia garage now and the report they gave me for the car says smart unit faulty. Is it the same as ecu? Or how do you go about fixing that? Thanks
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 9 days ago.

I get that you would have to ask them for example Mercedes call the ECU a SAM unit BMW call it a PCM unit ECT ECT the ECU now has about 20 different names.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yeah, I did ask if it’s different from the ecu, they said it’s different. That it’s under the dashboard. They showed me the location of it under the dashboard.

Immobiliser module possible.

What is the repair cost.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Supply of part and fitting they said €1150

Can you send a photo and tell me the part number on it and i will look at the options.

How do I send a photo or file to the Expert?

There are a few ways to send a photo or file to your Expert. When posting your question, there is an option to add photos and files.

• If you already posted your question and still need to share photos or files, click the upload icon on the reply box in your question.
  • A pop-up window will open. Locate the file on your computer, click it once, then click Open.
  • A link representing your photo or file should now appear below the reply box on your question page. Insert text in the reply box and click the Send button to send your photo or file to the Expert.

To send a photo or file, it must be 5MB or less and in one of the following formats: GIF, PNG, JPEG, ZIP, RAR, PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT, DOCX, XLSX, SWF, FLV, WMV. If your photo or file is larger than 5MB, please resize it or send it to customer support at *****@******.***.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (7SVL71Q)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sent it

What is the part number on that diagram.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The middle dark box on the diagram

95800M95400 is that the number.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
01338AC
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
1338AC

looks like the immobiliser module if it comes down to fitting a new ECU / lock set have you got someone that can do that for you.

not new i mean used.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not yet

Try http://www.boschcarservice.com out of interest.

See if you have any good independent workshops near you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thanks so much. If I have to buy the module, do I have to buy it with the ecu units?

Yes ECU / lock set all from the same vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thanks

Any Bosch approved workshops near you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
got one. They said they can either by pass the module, which is cheaper or change it.? Your Advice!!

If they can by pass it that would be perfect like i said there are options to the issue.