Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

A year ago we purchased a 2009 Kia Sportage 2L manual with

A year ago we purchased a 2009 Kia Sportage 2L manual with 121k on the clock and have been generally pleased with it until our excursion in Devon last week when the car would suddenly lose power when downshifting to overtake and downshifting to climb those long hills when it would seem that the car would crawl to a stop. No real hills in Norfolk where we live ,you see!
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Apart from putting some thing in the diesel to clear the injectors, nothing. I will take it to our local garage tomorrow(back from Devon Friday).
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Last serviced last month. Full Service. 129K on the clock now.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Not that I can think, thank you.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thomas ***

Hi, Thomas, I hope you are well. can you confirm if it's petrol or diesel?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Fine. Let's carry on online chat.

Thomas, did you get my reply? is the car petrol or diesel?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it is diesel.

ok perfect and do any warning lights come on when this happens? when was the last fuel filter replacement?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't know. As I wrote, it had a major service last month so would hope that might have been replaced then.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No warning lights appear.

ok I would double-check because often they are overlooked and are very common to blocking up and causing exactly your issue because the fuel supply is restricted when under load so overtaking or uphill

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will double check with the bill and the garage.

ok, this is a good place to start.i would also recommend the car is connected to a diagnostic tool to see if the systems are detecting the issue .EGR valves are also a common cause of this type of issue

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just checked the bill. Fuel filter changed.

ok, so the next step is to get it connected to a diagnostic tool to see what's going on.if no faults are stored data can be viewed whilst the issue is occurring to monitor things like fuel and boost pressure to see if they are outside spec

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will get the Exhaust recirculating valve checked by our garage.

not as part of a service but on a scan tool data can be viewed to see if the position matches the airflow inside the intake manifold .typically they fail to shut fully causing a drop in intake pressure

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Does it have to be a specific Kia software on the diagnostic tool?

no most garages will have multi-vehicle tools capable of accessing this data

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. I will discuss with our mechanics tomorrow and book it in for a check up.

keep me posted and thanks for choosing justanswer

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can a faulty MAF sensor also contribute this problem?

its possible yes as incorrect readings will confuse the system and again drop the intake pressure .they are not a common failure though