Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

My Kia is losing power on accelerating, my car is 5 years

Customer Question

My Kia is losing power on accelerating
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: my car is 5 years old and has annual services. Checked air filter. It is clean Don’t know where the fuel filter is?
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: Kia Rio June 2017
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ww have checked air filter but don’t think we be able to fix ourselves the Kia assist only lasts 3 years and our nearest Kia garage is*****and in googling the problem we shouldn’t drive the vehicke
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only that it suddenly lost acceleration and we had to crawl home with hazard lights at approx 25 mph but couldnt get power to climb a hill
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Margaret Morrin
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Just send me datails as I am in Spain at the moment and all the local garages just speak Spanish
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

hi Margaret I hope you are well. I'm sorry to hear you are losing power and I totally understand how frustrating this is. Can you tell me if the engine is petrol or diesel?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Petrol
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

ok and do you see any warning lights appearing on the dash?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

any juddering or is it just no revvs at all?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Just no power on accelerating We we’re driving along then suddenly there power dropped
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We had put some fuel in at a supermarket petrol station although tank wasn’t empty My husband wondered if had been dirty fuel causing like fuel starvation to engine
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

it's possible for sure and draining the tank off and adding fresh would be a good idea

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
But I would need to go to a garage to do that?
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

unfortunately yes to access the top of the tank

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
you are saying that may be the answer and not a fuel filter problem? But is it safe to drive the car and not do damage to the engine?
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

doesn't have an external fuel filter just a gauze filter attached to the fuel pump inside the tank

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Therefore you suggest I drive to nearest garage and not damage the engine
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

yes its possible the fule flow is restricted so we wouldn't want to run the engine with it struggling for fuel

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am confused if I have to go to a garage to drain the fuel but not drive the car.
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

I would drive straight to the garage

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

you are very welcome.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Is the the fuel filter a special one just for kia snd would have to be ordered or are they general filters that a garage may stock
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

its specific to this vehicle

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
That then causes me more problems !!
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

most garages will be able to get the parts from the dealer parts department

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Looks like I am going to have to hire a car until this is resolved
Expert:  Kevin replied 19 days ago.

sadly that's likely to be the case