Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

When car is hot it won't start just get a single click which

Customer Question

Hi when car is hot it won't start just get a single click which sounds like its coming from the dash
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From behind the dash somewhere it's been happening for a couple weeks but it's getting worse
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 08 sorrento xt
JA: Are you fixing your XT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm hoping to fix myself still trying to figure out what could be causing it
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Kia
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Martin
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Hello Martin,

You need to open the bonnet, and listen there, while having someone try to start. If the click is in the engine compartment, somewhere low, it would be the starter. In which case, the starter solenoid would be faulty (not passing current to the starter motor), or the starter motor brushes are worn. In all cases, if that's what's happening, the starter motor will need to be overhauled or replaced.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi the click is coming more from the dash area
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

That would be one of the relays clicking. And that is normal. Usually you wouldn't hear it because of the starter/engine noise. But given the conditions and symptoms, this does seem like a starter issue.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would the starter work when the engine is cold but not when hot as have no trouble starting when cold
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Yes, when the starter starts to fail (the solenoid mainly), it would show the symptoms mostly when hot.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ideal thanks is there any way to test to see if that is the problem before I buy new thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

You can, when you get the problem, and the starter isn't engaging, remove the starter relay, and use a small electrical wire between pins 30 and 87, where the relay usually sits. Once those two pins are connected, the starter should engage. If not, we know it's a starter issue.

Obviously, when we get to the starter, we check the connections, make sure there are tight and clean contacts, before condemning the starter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do I need someone to try and start the car when I have the wire in place or will it try to start on its own thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

The starter will engage, if it's not the problem. Just turn ignition on, and insert the wires. The starter should engage and the engine should start. If the starter doesn't engage, then it's a bad starter, or a bad connection to the starter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ideal thank-you you've been very helpful
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your trust. Cheers.