Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of both work experience and education.
30759776

my computer is running very slow, it is taken at least a half

my computer is running very slow, it is taken at least a half hour to open to the desk top and then another hour at least to be able to open any documnets and AOL to get access to the internet. I have been told that it could be due to the hot weather and that I should switch off the wifi at night and that this should speed things up. Have done this for the past two nights but it has made no difference. Are you able to advise please.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am very sorry you have been having this kind of problem. Just to verify your machine has been getting extremely slow correct? Can you tell me what version of windows you are using please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

vista

I see. Now first have you ever done any kind of disk cleanup or disk defragment to the machine to speed it up. Also what is the make of the computer and the model number please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where do i find make and model number

Have you ever done a disk cleanup or a disk defragment to speed up your computer and the make of the computer and model number is XXXXX on the bottom if the machine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no I hace speed up my PC installed and I use this to clear some things up. Make and model is toshibaequium P-T PSPC2E KS

That's actually not the best software to speed up your machine it actually causes more problems than doing any good at all. Do you know how to do a disk cleanup and disk defragment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no

OK first click on start then all programs then accessories and then click on system tools then click on disk cleanup. Once there click on files from all users on this computer. Then click continue It will start calculation. Then once it's done scanning keep in mind this can take some time. put a check mark in all boxes under files to delete. You may need to scroll down a bit and make sure everything has a check mark. Then Click ok and then delete files. It will automatically close once completed. Then Once that is done click on start then all programs and then accessories again and then system tools but this time click on disk defragmentor Click continue and then click on defragment now. You will see a white check mark again in a green circle appear on the left in place of the moving circular image. Once done Then see if the machine is faster.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK thanks for this I will let you know outcome

Please do, I will be right here waiting again it can take some time to do this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

have completed clean up disc and defrag overnight, switched on this morning and it has still taken me one and a half hours to access internet, is there anything else that can be done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can this now be passed onto some-one else to answer as I have been waiting on reply for several hours now

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do not know if this is connected but whilst using browser on AOL get error message a lot showing whoops something has happened to your browser, please be patient whilst we reinstate this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
length of time it is taking to get answer

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i do still need help with this and am quite happy for screen sharing

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=c6c6217b-b422-4fee-a196-93620846a52b

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok if done this

Thank you for your time.

All is well now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still trying to access aol and the Internet unable to to get into either problem has not yet been solved having to use phone to update you

Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Click the Start Button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.
- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

after 2 and a half hours I have now got back into AOL but am afraid to close it down again in case it takes another 2 hours to open. Due to system restore, mcafee has reinstalled on system and the programme you created has gone. Problem has obviuosly not yet been resolved and it looks like I will have to go else where and take it into computer repair shop!

Thank you for the update.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you think that it will help I will agree to this

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=1fdd7fd8-dba3-46c0-aac8-3f074fb69554

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you still have control of computer or have I lost you?

I was not reconnected.
Click the remote link above and run it again, please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Am waiting on aol opening and will click link once I am back on line

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you back in control as screen has gone black

It is all working good now.

Please, let me know if you have any issues later on.

It turns out there were still problems. You had a few virus/spyware type applications, which I removed.

Currently, the problem is that AOL will not open. All the normal fixes that fix that problem 99% of the time have not fixed it.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience: 10+ years of both work experience and education.