ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

Why can't I save docs to a disk from my acer laptop

Hello why can't I save docs to a disk from my acer laptop
Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: Intel atim Atom
Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No my laptop. Is getting fixed and the package in
Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry my laptop is at menders and I need to work. So am. Using my mini acer atom

Hi, my name is Chris.

What kind of disk are you trying to save the documents to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have tried a Toshiba d33033 and a normal USB stck but laptop doesn't see either
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is an aspire
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK can I cancel and no pay taken

Okay, that sounds like there may be something wrong with the computer then.

Have you been able to read the storage drives on other computers?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried plugging these drives into another USB port on this computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
laptop beeps but I am see a mrsssge

So you plug the drives in and you get a message? What does the message say?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothi g it just beeps

Hmm. . . Give me just a few minutes to look at something for you. Please stand by.

Have you taken any steps at this point to try to troubleshoot the issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know a lot but have tried different USB sticks. It worked yesterday with my mouse but now not!!

Do you mean that you had a mouse plugged into this USB port and it worked, but when you plug the USB drives into that port it's not working?

Does it still work when you plug the mouse in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it did but only once now the same ports dont6rrad anything!

Hmm, so just to be clear, you're saying that these ports aren't reading the mouse now either?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but have just tried mouse in another port and it's on again

Hmm, okay.

Just based on what you're saying, this is sounding to me like it may be a physical problem with the motherboard. When a motherboard is failing on a physical level, then you'll see erratic behavior like it sounds like you're encountering, where ports will stop working or will only work sporadically.

If I understand correctly, this is not actually your computer? It's a loaner from work or something along those lines?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can open docs okjustcant see e yernal drive to save when I try sVi g except c drives

Well not I'm a little confused.

You're saying you can open docs from the external drives? I thought you said that the computer was not detecting the drives at all.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I can open to view
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the laptop

Okay, are you talking to me on that computer right now or are you talking to me on a different device?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't connect to my WiFi so from my mobile

When you to go try to save a document to one of your external drives, what happens exactly? Does the drive just not appear as an option to save to? Or does it appear, but then you get an error when you try to save?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just doesn't appear as an option

Okay, and just to be clear, this computer is not your own computer, is that correct? You just have it temporarily while yours is getting fixed?

Still with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is mine but I only use it S a backup

All right, give me just a few minutes to look at something on my end.

Stand by for me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still here
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But getti g tired I don't think. It can be resolved but fhanktou

Thanks for your patience.

Without actually being able to connect to the computer it will be difficult to troubleshoot. However, I think we may be able to come up with a workaround that can get you by until you could have someone locally look at the machine locally and determine exactly what the problem is here.

What I would recommend you do is save the documents to your desktop and then copy the saved documents from the desktop to the external drive. So for instance, you would save the doc to your desktop, and then open the external drive, and then copy the document over and it should save appropriately. This should be possible since you say you are able to open documents from the drive.

Does this make sense? If you have any questions on this, just let me know.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better to end our chat session. Just click to rate and then click the Submit button. (You may need to scroll up to find the rating option.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My laptop should be back by Wed so I'll just wait as I won't be able to get someone to look at it til then. If I save them a lot of work I still won't be able to save them to an external drive as that is the problem now!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If we can't go any further can you tell me mhow I cancel please and of course pay the £5

I think the work-around I provided is the best course of action for now. If you save the documents to the desktop, then you should be able to copy the saved files to the external drives. This would be the same as saving it to the external drive directly from inside the program. It just would require a couple of extra steps.

If you are ready to go ahead and end the chat, then please just rate the answer 3 STARS or better at the top of the page. If you did not opt in to the subscription program, then there is no need to cancel anything.