Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I'm having problems with my Acer aspire scrolling on its own

I'm having problems with my Acer aspire scrolling on its own and typing asterisks plus now freezing
Assistant: What exactly is frozen or not starting up for you?
Customer: The screen freezes can't do anything with it so have to turn off laptop by on/off button and restart it
Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: Acer aspire 15
Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: My son did a re-set last night to see if that helped but it's not it's being doing the scrolling more or less since I brought it just over a year ago
Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry I disappeared for abit No I don't think so the problems started soon after setting it up but I've just not had time to deal with them
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your laptop question.

That sounds as if the keyboard might be dirty, perhaps with bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or pizza crumbs, that may have gotten into some keys that thus, falsely, register key presses that cause the scrolling and the asterisks to appear.

Also, you might have a virus-afflicted laptop - that would also account for its being this way since it was sold to you.

Please tell me how old your Acer is.

Also please tell me, whether it has any anti-virus utility, or Internet Security, on it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi my son also said it might be crumbs etcetera have tried to clean it but there's no excess to the underneath of the keys plus I only bought the laptop a year ago and the problem started not long afterwards I've had Norton anti virus software plus I did install one my son sent me that he uses for his business as he's a computer boffin with Microsoft affiliations or letters after his name lol

Good so far.

To clean the keyboard, turn it upside down and shake it with the letter keys facing downward - this can be hazardous to the hard drive, so be sure it is fully shut down first! so that the hard drive is not running at the time.

After that... replacing the keyboard would be logical.

Would you like me to examine the system by Secure Remote connection?