Pradeep Kumar S
Pradeep Kumar S, Laptop Expert
Experience:  Sr. Technical Support Specialist at Pradeep Kumar S
104641190

For ages the battery of my Toshiba Satellite Pro has not

Hello, for ages the battery of my Toshiba Satellite Pro has not been working properly -- Windows warning message has said it is not charging properly and the computer has died if I haven't got it plugged in to the AC adaptor. I meant to look into this but never got round to it but now something else has happened and it isn't working even with the AC adaptor plugged in.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?
Customer: I think Windows 7
JA: Does your laptop make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?
Customer: I've turned it off because it said it had to shut down because battery had reached critical state. The amber light which is usually on to show it is charging when the AC adaptor is in flashes fast and there is an accompanying slight clicking noise, even with the laptop turned off
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes: with the AC adaptor in but the battery removed, the light is green, not amber, but still blinking fast and making a clicking noise. The image of a power cord over the battery to show it was charging did not appear, even with the AC adaptor plugged in, before it said it was going critical and I turned it off.

Hi, this is Pradeep ,You have reached Just Answer which is a Paid Question and Answer site. and I will be helping you with your “ Toshiba laptop ” issue today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Pradeep

Thank you for your response!! As i understood the issue correctly, It can be because of battery or the charger.

Are you using the original charger that came with the laptop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know if I need a new AC adaptor or a new battery. Or if there is anything else I can try first. I am wary of turning it on because it said battery level is critical before I turned it off and I don't want to lose all my files by it crashing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think so -- yes

Are you chatting from the same computer right now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, I'm chatting from a different one next to it!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There seems to be a slight problem with your site as well, so I have to refresh the page before I see that my response has sent)

Is that Toshiba laptop is in working stage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't remember if it is the original charger but I think so. It has certainly worked for years. It says Toshiba on it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Toshiba laptop is turned off. I don't know if I should turn it on because it might risk losing the documents if it crashes -- maybe safer to try a new adaptor first?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't know if it will turn on. I think it probably will with the AC adaptor in. The battery is still removed.

The battery for your laptop is removable. So Please remove the battery and disconnect everything connected to the laptop.

Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and connect the charger , not the battery and check whether it is working without the battery or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it turns on probably it will ask me if I want to log in in safe mode -- if it asks me that should I do so?

Do login in safe mode but only for once and see whether computer stay on for a longer period of time. It can be either Battery issue or ac adapter issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it doesn't turn on. And I think there is usually a green light on the AC adaptor and that doesn't work either. Though the light on the computer is flashing green when the AC adaptor is plugged in and there is a clicking noise.

Just tell me one thing , When you connect the AC adapter then the led goes from the adapter or it is not showing the power led on the adapter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it's not showing the LED on the adapter. But it is showing it blinking on the front of the computer when the adapter is plugged in to the computer (but stops when it is not plugged in.)

That means the power is coming from the Ac adapter but there is something wrong with the laptop.

How old is your Laptop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know exactly but it is quite old
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-29W PSC1ME-00U00KEN

Then i would suggest you to please take it to the Toshiba service center as i suspect there must be a hardware issue on it , Not a software issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, thanks. I'll do that.

You are most welcome.

Also, Before you go Please rate my service , Just scroll up this page to the top, you'll see stars , click on the stars and click on submit to rate.

It will be very helpful for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do so.

You are most welcome. have a blessed day.