Bing
Bing, Senior IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD / MCSE
96068672

SECOND OPINION] My laptop is a standalone, not linked to a

SECOND OPINION]My laptop is a standalone , not linked to a domain as far as |I know. I used the nirsoft utility cports and the result shows my computer named as a remote host. I used netres view utility and it showed I had remote admin shares I looked at the share in file explorer and some of the files had been recently modified. The domain was workgroup. This is a new computer ,I have used new passwords I have bought a new router with new passwords but 2 days after installation I found that I was no longer connected to my usual network, instead I was connected a direct wireless net work . My settings showed i was connected to my normal network but i was unable to get on the internet and Nirsoft Wireless history view showed I was connected to this direct wirless network. Can you explain what is going on?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The capture ping seems to show my laptop as remote host. my laptop is LAPTOP-7GUT9DG8 The network history text shows me connected to FD_GROUP_OWNER_PROFILE DIRECT-AILAPTOP-7GUT9DG8UNJi also WFD_GROUP_OWNER_PROFILE DIRECT-DWLAPTOP-7GUT9DG8MLVU when my network is PLUSNET-XRPM9J The remote admin shows a network share and gives me the option to view it in file explorer where i can see there has been some activity. Also the path to is network- laptop-admin$. If I click on network, then my laptop in the usual way it says laptop empty if i right click it tells me to connect to the remote computer. Please can you explain what is going on?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My original question was My laptop is a standalone , not linked to a domain as far as |I know. I used the nirsoft utility cports and the result shows my computer named as a remote host. I used netres view utility and it showed I had remote admin shares I looked at the share in file explorer and some of the files had beenrecently modified. The domain was workgroup. This is a new computer ,I have used new passwords I have bought a new router with new passwords but 2 days after installation I found that I was no longer connected to my usual network, instead I was connected a direct wireless net work . My settings showed i was connected to my normal network but i was unable to get on the internet and Nirsoft Wireless history view showed I was connected to this direct wirless network. Can you explain what is going on?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today.

Your computer is fine, not attacked or managed by any unknown party.

The shares are by default for any Windows computers, from the servers to the Windows clients such as Windows 10. Please see below the screenshot of my Windows 10 computer, which has the exact same shares by default.

Please don't worry too much. :-)

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for the answer re the shares but can you explain for me the capture ping where my laptop is listed as remote host?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you able to see my capture document to give me an answer without remoting into my computer?

Sure.

But I am in a remote session now. Will be back once done.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK i will wait

Regarding your laptop listed as remote host in the screenshot capture.png, it just means your computer is running a number of services with loopback connections, such as SSDP, WS-DISCOVERY and WSD. You can be sure it is safe because you can see the connections are from local to local.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That is good and the direct access on the network History view what would that be ?

They are ALL for Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2, not physical connections at all.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Having said that,while these connections were active my computer showed that I was connected to my isp provider, but I was unable to connect to the internet. I am concerned that the Wifi direct networks were used to access my computer and set up direct access connections to my computer. When I use file explorer to view my network my computer shows file empty, connect to remote computer. See pings 1 and 2. When I look in file explorer in my network my laptop show empty on a left click and connect to remote computer on a right click, but when I access my computer again using file explorer but through the remote admin connection there are file in there access when the direct access network was connected please see pings 3 and 4 has remote access occurred?

I am in a remote session now. Will be back once done.

I still don't see any unusual things (connections and on-screen message) showing you have connections to external servers.

> see pings 3 and 4 has remote access occurred?

I can't follow you on this. What do you mean by "pings 3 and 4"?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ping 3 shows the files in remote admin, some recently accessed I need to know if remote admin is enable and being used by a third party would you be able to identify if this were happening if I allowed remote access and what would the cost be to me

Thanks for requesting remote assistance services. Please let me know what kind of computer you are using for the remote session, such as Windows PC or Mac?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
An Acer laptop
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
PC windows

Thanks. I am preparing the link for you.

If you are reading this message from the Acer PC running Windows, please click HERE to start a remote session with me. Thanks.

Have you clicked the given HERE button to join the session?

FYI - my laptop's battery is running extremely low now. I have to leave for a while to return to my desktop.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have downloaded the app when will you be sorting out my problem

All done. All given shares were double-checked and confirmed were system defaults and not external hosts were connected except the host itself.